Sunday, February 13, 2011

New Album: Angels of Darkness, Demons Of Light 1

So the weirdest thing, I'm drinking (that's not the weird thing) and listening to Earth's newest album, Angels of Darkness, Demons Of Light 1, and (here's the weird thing) I'm actually enjoying it; quite a bit. Now I have heard some Earth before, but I've never been a fan of their or of the whole drone scene altogether, so much so that I was hesitant in even picking up this album. But, as fate would have it, sometimes you need some all-encompassing dredge to get you through the day. I almost got fired today from my job, and I'm pretty sure they are going to stop me from working on The Guide while at work (which will cut my productivity down considerably), so I threw the album on for nothing but a soundscape while I grabbed a drink and took a shit. I know, graphic, but such is life.

I don't know about the other Earth releases but Angels of Darkness, Demons Of Light 1 is doom enough for me to enjoy, and not overly drone - at least not to the point of some of the Sun O))) I've heard. All throughout the album I kept waiting for lyrics to come in, or some sort of advanced song structure or something, anything really, but it never came. Normally I'd have a problem with this, as it is my main gripe with drone or atmospheric anything, the endless noise, no real rhyme or rhythm, just noise. With Angels of Darkness, Demons Of Light 1, while there is nothing I would really equate to a tried and true 'song,' there is enough of a continual melody and simple song structure for me to get into. I'm sure being three sheets to the wind didn't hurt either.

Now, this album is something I would never pay for, nor would I ever see Earth live (I don't know how people do it), but it's good for background noise/zone out music. It lets your brain relax and not really take heed to what is going on around you. Put this one and close your eyes and hit a Zen moment. Angels of Darkness, Demons Of Light 1 was just as nice as listening to some of the easy listening I usually listen to, to unwind from a long day. I can't differentiate song from song, as it's all pretty much the same, if you like one track you will like them all. I'm not sure of my level of commitment to this act right now, I'll have to have another shitty day soon (oh they will come) to warrant another listen.

No comments: