Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Awesome Websites: Map of Metal

Slow week for me, and so I'm just going to leave you with this little tid-bit until I get something real done.


It's kind of a neat representation of the world of metal that we live in. It starts at the 'Heavy Metal' tag, and spans outward from there. What I like is that on top of the map (which is huge by the way) it has musical examples for most of the genres, including those that aren't fully metal. It entangles any sub-genre of rock, from punk and thereby hardcore, to psychedelic and grunge.

I don't agree with all of the genres and how they are tied together always, with djent in the death metal breacket, but it's pretty accurate overall. I did learn some new genres that I had never heard of; visual kei, and neue deutsche harte (literally new German hardness), and some better understanding of a few genres that I'm not totally fond of.

Well enjoy looking through that, and I hope that it shows you something that you didn't know about the world of metal, and introduces you to some hew bands. I'll try to get something more substantial up tomorrow.

No comments: