Monday, April 11, 2011

Tribute Series: Yellow Matter Custard

It's been a while, but here is the final tribute band/act that I discovered going through Mike Portnoy's discography. You can check out the others; Hammer of the Gods, Cygnus and the Sea Monsters, and Amazing Journey.

This is the album that started the trend (but the last I heard), One Night in New York City is a tribute to The Beatles under the name Yellow Matter Custard; made up of Mike Portnoy  (Dream Theater, Transatlantic, OSI, Liquid Tension Experiment), Neal Morse (Transatlantic, Spock's Beard), Paul Gilbert (Racer X, Mr. Big) and Matt Bissonette (ELO). They take their name from a lyric in "I Am the Walrus", by The Beatles: "Yellow matter custard, dripping from a dead dog's eye".

The Beatles have never been my favorite act, which is why the great delay between this article and the others (about four months). I was much more interested in The Who and Rush, which is why they were the first of the set I listened to. It just doesn't have the spark for me, as hearing some of my favorite acts covered. You all can understand that right?

Anyway, the album is pretty solid, and I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more had I been a big Beatlehead or something. As it is, The Beatles songs that I like originally, I like now, and the numerous others, I still don't care for. One thing about Yellow Matter Custard is that they are a great group to hear on a live CD. There aren't any weak tracks, at least sonically, each song is treated as the number one hit of the group. I actually wouldn't mind seeing these guys live.

In short, if you love The Beatles then you will love Yellow Matter Custard, if you're like me and could either take it or leave it, I'd say listen to it all once, if only to hear these amazing musicians enjoying some classic music.

Track Listing
Disc 1:
  1. Intro
  2. Magical Mystery Tour
  3. Dear Prudence
  4. Dig a Pony
  5. She Said She Said
  6. I Call Your Name
  7. You Can't Do That
  8. When I Get Home
  9. Nowhere Man
  10. Rain
  11. Free as a Bird
  12. Come Together
  13. I Am the Walrus
  14. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Disc 2:
  1. Baby's in Black
  2. I'll Be Back
  3. No Reply
  4. The Night Before
  5. You're Gonna Lose That Girl
  6. Ticket to Ride
  7. Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
  8. Oh! Darling
  9. Think for Yourself
  10. Wait
  11. Revolution
  12. I Want You (She's So Heavy)
  13. You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)
  14. Lovely Rita
  15. Good Morning Good Morning
  16. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
  17. A Day in the Life

No comments: