Monday, January 31, 2011

Video: The High Kings - "The Rocky Road To Dublin"

I love my heritage (British/Irish), and I love the music from the homeland. All of the traditional instruments and the songs that have been sung for one hundred years or more, really gets to me. I found this video and it made my hair stand on end. "The Rocky Road To Dublin" was written (at least they lyrics, the tune may have been around much longer) in the late 19th century, and quickly became a popular song for the masses. The lyrics have changed a bit over the time, and often times artists will change or add to the lyrics, putting their own spin on it. Wikipedia has twenty-eight artists listed as doing their own version of the song, but there has to be hundreds more. The list only incorporates recent versions (the earliest being from the 60s), and as the song is over one hundred years old, you know there has to be more. Anyway, enjoy this bit of Irish and British history, as told by the Irish Ballad group, The High Kings.


No comments: