Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Awesome Songs: The Cars - "My Best Friend's Girl"

Here is a new segment that I've been thinking a lot about; some of my favorite songs, with an explanation of why I love it. Often times the song in question will be a very narrative piece, and in that case most of my article will be describing the story within the music. It's purely subjective and I will be diving in all sorts of genres, these are my favorite tracks after all.

To keep my first post fairly simple, I'm going to go with one of the best known singles by the pop-punk band The Cars, "My Best Friend's Girl," released way back in 1978. I'm sure some would question this choice, and the song itself isn't really that great. It tells the tale of a man's ex who started dating his best friend. The main line of the chorus sums it all up: "She's my best friend's girl, but she used to be mine." Simple 70s pop.

The Cars - "My Best Friend's Girl"


What I love about this song - something that I recently realized - is the fancy guitar lick between the verses and choruses. It's a surfer-rockabilly simple poppy guitar and I love it. I don't know why, but every time I hear it I want to just up and do a little side-step dance in time. If you've heard the song then you know what I am talking about, and I hope you agree, it makes the song for me.

Whether or not you like The Cars, or any of their music (I can honestly only name about three tracks I know by them), this is a catchy song - at least the guitar is. This first installment of 'Awesome Songs' is short and sweet, expect later ones to be much more involved and in depth.

No comments: