Thursday, June 2, 2011

Everything I Didn't Review In May

Really, there isn't much to write about this month. While I did get decent album numbers, most of what I listened to was older discographies, or debut albums from acts that are now releasing their sophomore discs. Everything else, that is actually new to me, has received a review, so there isn't a case to add the albums here.

With my new computer, it's been a semi-battle to get back in the swing of things, and so finally I'm getting out ahead of the overwhelming number of albums, songs, and artists that I have. Each month will be a little more new, and a little less old, until I'm back to my usual flow of about 2/3 new and 1/3 old. This is my long-term goal and I hope you stick around for the journey with me.
Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell III: The Monster Is Loose
This is really the only new (to me) album I heard that didn't get a full write-up. I was in a Meat Loaf sort of mood at the beginning of the month, and decided to listen to the trifecta of his most famous releases: Bat Out of Hell, Bat Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell, and Bat Out of Hell III: The Monster Is Loose. While the first is one of my favorite albums of all time, and the second is pretty good in itself, this third chapter falls way short. The biggest release off the disc was the first track, "The Monster Is Loose", which received notice for having John 5 (guitarist for Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie) and Nikki Sixx (from Motley Crue) perform on it. The song honestly sounds like a nu-metal version of a classic rock song, and for me was the worst part of the album (what a way to start). The rest of the album is alright, it's one of those releases that if you forget for a moment that it is supposed to be a Meat Loaf album (and a Bat Out of Hell album at that) and pretend it's a new artist then it strikes you differently. The best songs are still the ones that Jim Steinman originally wrote, so I can't imagine why Meat Loaf would ever split ways from that genius, with the rest of the disc dragging further and further behind. Not the man's best work, and really we can all pretend that there is no Bat Out of Hell III, I'd be fine with that.

No comments: