Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Albums Listened To In August (45)

It's the end of August already...crazy. I say that but as I look back over this list I see some of the albums I listened to and can't believe that I heard those albums this month. It seems so far away. I might switch back to the week by week next month, just because I like being able to see the time line for what albums I have listened to. You only miss something when it is gone, I thought the whole month layout was better, but I'm beginning to see the benefits to the breakdown.
Only 45 albums this month, my numbers are steadily going down ever sense I moved closer to my job and got a new position at work. I am slowly getting back to the average numbers for the first year of having this website. I feel that my numbers will float around fifty for the foreseeable future, which is pretty decent I have to say.
Bringing this up reminded me that the two year anniversary of this blog is coming up! I have nothing special planned or anything, just worth mentioning. Hopefully by next month I'll have moved, or be moving soon, to Scotland - I have a job interview this week - so this blog might take a slight turn as I cross the pond. We'll see, and hope... hope for me damn you!!

Also, this is another month where I have this article all written and primed to go off on the first of the month, instead of putting it off a week like I do half of the time. What can I say? It's been a boring day at work.


The Great
The only Adam West album I can find, Hi-Balls Are Rolling!, was pretty damn good. A nice mix of punk and stoner, something I haven't heard to much of. Also hard to pull off, these guys did grand. The Dreadnoughts are another Celtic folk band that shows great promise. Their two albums were a blast to listen to and I await their follow-up works with fervor. They aren't at the level of Flogging Molly or The Pogues...yet. The new Sasquatch album, accurately titled 'III' (or Sasquatch III depending where you go), was a really good groove album, a strong step down the same path as their other two. Good for anyone who is a fan of the groovy side of stoner.

The O.K.
7Zuma7 was nothing special. I only listened to them because of the request I had to post their discography in Angry Chairs. Not band, not good, just is. The new Iron Maiden, you know that album everyone is talking about, was an interesting sound. I am only calling it O.K. now, but as a rule I don't judge Maiden albums until I've had a chance for several run-throughs. I didn't like A Matter of Life or Death when I first heard it, but over the years it has grown on me, and I'm assuming/hoping The Final Frontier does the same. More to be said about that later. Mudvayne's The New Game was another so-so release by the group. I listened to their entire discography before I got to this one (and their 2nd most recent album, their self titled, was another I hadn't heard) and it did nothing to wow me. A couple of decent songs, as in every Mudvayne record so far, but that's it. If you liked the rest, you'll like this one too.

The Bad
Truth and Soul by Fishbone was a letdown. I had already heard a few songs off of this release and I wan't expecting much, but for a band that makes some great albums (later in their career), listening to their stuff from the beginning is a bit dull. I tried getting through some of Rotor's works, but there really wasn't much there. Bands that are all (or mostly in Rotor's case) instrumental need to be outstanding (read: The Bakerton Group) in order to be worth a gander by me, and Rotor just doesn't have it. Maybe it develops in their later albums - I'll have to try and see - but for right now it's just not the group for me.

Discographies
The bands that I got through their full discography: The Dreadnoughts, Mudvayne
The bands that I only listened to a handfull of albums (usally to get warmed up for a new album): Iron Maiden, The Offspring (even though it wasn't really new for me)
The bands that I have only begun their disography but have every intention of finishing it in the upcoming month: Fishbone, Fu Manchu

  1. 3 - Paint By Number
  2. 7Zuma7 - Deep Inside... - New
  3. 7Zuma7 - 7Zuma7 (EP) - New
  4. Across Tundras - Divides (EP) - New
  5. Adam West - Hi-Balls Are Rolling! - New 
  6. Agents of Oblivion - Agents of Oblivion - New
  7. Ayreon - The Human Equation (2 Discs) - New 
  8. Blind Guardian - At The Edge of Time - New
  9. Blowback - Morning Wood - New
  10. Cabrón - Cabrón - New
  11. Camp Climax For Girls - Ten Dollar Birds - New
  12. The Dreadnoughts - Legends Never Die - New 
  13. The Dreadnoughts - Victory Square - New 
  14. Elf - Carolina County Ball
  15. Everybody Out! - Everybody Out! - New 
  16. Fishbone - Fishbone (EP) 
  17. Fishbone - In Your Face 
  18. Fishbone - Truth And Soul - New
  19. Fu Manchu - Daredevil - New
  20. Fu Manchu - No One Rides For Free - New
  21. Hazards Of Swimming Naked - Our Lines Are Down - New
  22. Hermano - ...Only A Suggestion 
  23. Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - New
  24. Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
  25. Iron Maiden - Killers
  26. Mudvayne - The End of All Things to Come
  27. Mudvayne - L.D. 50 
  28. Mudvayne - Lost and Found 
  29. Mudvayne - Mudvayne - New
  30. Mudvayne - The New Game - New
  31. New Keepers Of The Water Towers - Chronicles - New
  32. The Offspring - Americana
  33. The Offspring - Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace
  34. The Offspring - Splinter
  35. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
  36. Rotor - Rotor - New
  37. Sasquatch - Sasquatch III - New
  38. Stonerrock.comp 7 - New 
  39. Styx - The Grand Illusion 
  40. The Sword - Age of Winters
  41. The Sword - The Sword/Witchcraft (Split EP)
  42. Uriah Heep - Demons And Wizards 
  43. Uriah Heep - Demons And Wizards 
  44. Whole Wheat Bread - Hearts of Hoodlums 
  45. Wolfmother - Wolfmother

No comments: