Saturday, April 17, 2010

Current Trend: Celtic Folk

Beginning on St. Patrick's Day (complete coincidence) I began getting heavily into Celtic Punk/Rock. Something about the time of year, and the style of music, spoke to my heritage, and pulled at my heart-strings. Bands like The Pogues, Dropkick Murphys, and Flogging Molly all embody the (relativity) more mainstream of this genre, and all do it fairly well. But I was into more underground music, Jackdaw (which was pretty damn good), The Tossers, The Real McKenzies, Skids, Seven Nations, Young Dubliners, and Fiddler's Green (although they're... German?), put out more traditional sounds - less punk more folk - to much success.


But even listing these bands, I have only tipped the iceberg. I only got through the above 10 bands, but I have 26 on my computer, and I plan on listening to more in the coming weeks. I've got bands like Blood or Whiskey, Flatfoot 56, Great Big Sea, Roaring Jack (Australian!), and Street Dogs, all worthy of a listen, and all mentioned on various lists as being one of the best within the genre, I look forward to comparing them.

I only write this Current Trend, because I have seen my music tastes shift. From the folk Celtic of the end of last month/beginning of this month, towards classic metal (AC/DC, Iron Maiden), and I figured this was as good as a time as any for a new article. If my tastes shift back (which is more then possible to happen) then another Celtic Current Trend will be had!

No comments: