Tuesday, June 15, 2010

40,000 Listens!

Ok, so I'm a little late. My plan was to write about my 40,000th play, according to last.fm. Whatever song it was, whatever band it was. Unfortunately, I didn't think to look at my last.fm until today, where upon I saw that I was already at 40,470 listens. But still, that's pretty good right? Over 40,000 songs in a little over 4 years (joined last.fm on April 25, 2006 - it keeps count, not me). So I am averaging 10,000 songs a year, or 27.3972 songs a day. Let me say that again, I am AVERAGING over 27 SONGS A DAY!!! That is insane when you think about it. Lets average the number of songs on an album to 15 (I know there is a huge variance, with doom and progressive bands only having 4 songs and punk and thrash bands in upwards of 20. But 15 is what I chose so lets go with it). That means that every day for the past four years I have listened to just about 2 complete albums - this by itself not to extraordinary (hell I'm currently on my fourth for the day) - but for a year or two there I was not listening to nearly as much music as I am now. I'd like to say that out of the 40,000 songs, at least 30,000 of them were within the past two years; and a larger chunk of that group was been from when I began this blog (or right before). That, my friends, is crazy.


On a related note, along with the 40,470 plays there have been a total of 1,167 artists played in 4 years. This was another mile-marker I was going to announce, my 1,000th band. But once again, I did not notice until I was already at 1,010 or something, and not much point in highlighting that one. Obviously new artists are harder to come by then songs, but I feel that this is an equally impressive number. While I don't claim to be able to name 1,000 bands, I know for a fact that most of my friends couldn't name 100 bands/acts and I am sure this is a feat I could accomplish. I feel that with enough time and some fact-checkers, I could amass a list of 500 unique artists. It might take me a while, but I could do it.

Anywho, I feel that topping 40,000 songs is a big deal, as well as 1,000 artists, and I wish I could think of something neat to do to commemorate these occasions... but I can't. What I am doing is that next week I am seeing MC Chris, for the 9th time I believe, and am stoked for that. I am moving on Friday, and this move will bring me 20 min away from the venue, which is normally a 45 minute adventure, and that will be amazing!

So... that's all I've got really. I listen to a ton of music (we all know that). I rock, you need to join my music revolution.

No comments: