Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Current Trend: Stoner (Sort Of...)

Now I've been talking for the past few weeks about how I was getting into stoner rock/metal and was going to donate some time to this genre. but it just hasn't happened that way. I spent a few days listening to random stoner songs, a la Last.FM, and decided to acquire some albums for myself. I got the discographies of Dozer and The Atomic Bitchwax, and cued up some Monster Magnet, Orange Goblin and Electric Wizard, for future playing. I was excited!
I began with The Atomic Bitchwax, listening to most of their four albums (I'll probably finish off the last album, just to be thorough), it was pretty enjoyable, I liked the groove sections and the vocals were pretty blurred with the music, but nothing too bad. But it was a tad redundant, good for an occasional listen, but not something I'd really want to spend all day listening too. I then began listening to a little of the Electric Wizard I already had, but I got bored. It just wasn't thumpin enough for me. I needed something with rhythm and soul...something funky. And I found it.

For the past few months I've been wanting to get into classic funk music, you know, the stuff from the late 60's and 70's. Recently I found a new way to search and acquire music, and using this method, I was able to expand my collection greatly, and have begun working my way through it. This stuff I am enjoying greatly. This time I mean it - my next Current Trend will be all about the Renegades of Funk!

No comments: