Monday, January 5, 2009

New Band: Stone Gods


Remember The Darkness? They had that mega-hit "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" back in 2003 (you know the high-pitched one, with the guy in a white open-chested Spandex full-body suit in the music video), which led them into the pop-rock charts. One mediocre album later and it seems that the rest of the band got fed up with the falsetto pseudo-rock and opted for something more dark. They booted the frontman and promoted their bassist, Richie Edwards, to lead vocals (and switching to rhythm guitar), and found a new bassist. Thus, Stone Gods was born. After hearing Edwards' grittier vocals, I can't imagine why they didn't start off with him in the first place. Of course they wouldn't have been as big as they ended up being, but I would have enjoyed it more, and in life isn't that all that matters? (For me anyway)
Their debut album, Silver Spoons & Broken Bones, came out in July of 2008. And they began touring almost immediately. Although there have been some hiccups (some shows got cancelled in England with little warning of the cause), they are currently on the second leg of their tour, opening for Black Stone Cherry (another favorite of mine), across the US.
My favorite songs off the album are "Burn The Witch," with great lyrics and an amazing guitar-driven outro, and "Oh Where 'O My Beero," which's bass and snare beginning reminds me alot of John Lennon's song "Give Peace A Chance."
Overall, I like Stone God's debut performance, way more than any effort by The Darkness. Ironically, this new incarnation are alot darker then previously. I can't wait to hear their next release, either an EP or full-length release.

Track Listing
  1. "Burn the Witch" - 4:44
  2. "Don't Drink the Water" - 2:47
  3. "Defend or Die" - 4:58
  4. "You Brought a Knife to a Gunfight" - 3:07
  5. "Magdalen Street" - 3:56
  6. "Where You Comin' From" - 3:12
  7. "Lazy Bones" - 3:57
  8. "I'm With the Band" - 4:16
  9. "Start of Something" - 3:29
  10. "Making It Hard" - 3:12
  11. "Wasting Time" - 3:24
  12. "Knight of the Living Dead" - 4:22
  13. "Oh Where 'O My Beero" - 4:14

2 comments:

The Klepto said...

So apparently my article was good enough to be featured on Stone Gods' fansite: http://stonegodstemple.info/
Check it out!

ehowders said...

Did you hear that The Darkness is back? They're actually about to release a new album which I'm excited for since I'm diggin' their new music video. You should definitely check it out, it involves business&a stripteasing bear..ha no surprise
http://www.theactualdarkness.com/