Monday, August 3, 2009

British Invasion - The Singles

Alot of songs that I know and love by the big three of the British Invasion - The Who, The Beatles, and The Rolling Stones - never made it onto an actual album. I guess it was the style then (and a style some feel we should get back too) to release just singles, with no tie to an album. The only way I hear these songs is randomly on classic rock stations or on greatest hit collections. I'm not going to go into depth into these singles, and I am 100% sure I am missing alot, but these are the singles that I have (from greatest hits collections) and have listened to:

  • The Beatles
  1. Hey Jude - One of my favorite Beatles songs. It is a beautiful song about love. Also at the time it was the longest radio-single released, clocking in at over seven minutes
  2. From Me To You
  3. I Want To Hold Your Hand
  • The Rolling Stones
  1. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - One of the best known Stones songs, I am very surprised this never made it to an album. It would have really helped sales, instead of making the five dollars for a single (or whatever it was then), you could be pulling in fifteen for the whole album.
  2. Honky Tonk Woman - A great blues-inspired rock song. Covered many times by bands like Humble Pie to Tesla
  3. It's All Over Now
  • The Who
  1. Substitute
  2. I'm A Boy
  3. Happy Jack
  4. Pictures of Lily
  5. Call Me Lightning
  6. Magic Bus - All the songs above (including this one) are very much British Invasion pop. Some are decent, but I like Magic Bus because of the meaning behind it - a man going to see his gal by means of the bus. And so he falls in love with the bus, that 'magically' takes him there every day, so much that he buys the bus to continue up the drive.
  7. The Seeker - A song I continuously get stuck in my head, The Seeker is a great rock song. It is a tad confusing, one second he is saying how everyone hates him and then in the same line he states that they want to shake his hand (while he ransacks their homes). I like this version, I like the Rush version, I think I'd like any version.
  8. Summertime Blues - A cover from Eddie Cochran, who originated it as a blues-rock song. I think this version is a cover of a cover, it is very close in style to that of Blue Cheer, but that is a good version to take your influence from.
  9. Let's See Action
  10. Join Together - Let's See Action and Join Together are two of my favorite songs by The Who, and they both are semi-similar in meaning. They are hippy-rock anthems (as much as hippies can have an anthem) about sticking together and getting stuff done. Good driving music (I'd say good walking music, but who walks anymore)
  11. Long Live Rock

No comments: