Saturday, August 1, 2009

Albums Listened To In July

God this was a long month - although it has been my only good month so far this summer - got a new job, moved into the new place, graduation is four months away, its all looking up. Musically, it was brutal as well. My "Month of Dio" plan sounded grand at the beginning, but by the end it was like homework, something I knew I had to do but I had no drive to do it. I did like setting a goal though, I'll have to do that one again, just something either not so grandiose, or at the very least something with a little more options. I'm thinking a month of the Big Three of the British Invasion - The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, and The Who. The original idea was for a month of 90's alt-rock that I listened to growing up, but after listening to a couple discs (see below), I found out that these bands suck. I only like the singles for the nostalgic value, but the rest of it is garbage. So that one is out the window. I still have some time, I'll think about it.

For the best of the month, nothing really stood out. I really enjoyed listening to the rest of the sHEAVY discography (not too much Republic? but Synchronized was pretty kick ass), and the second disc of the new Dream Theater album, Black Clouds & Silver Linings. It's a cover disc of some killer heavy metal staples (Rainbow, Queen, Iron Maiden), as well as some I have never heard (Zebra, Dixie Dregs) and one song from the grand-daddy of prog, King Crimson. The Abramis Brama album was pretty solid too, I wish they had more then just two English speaking albums. Also, as a parting note, Black In The Mind is a band I saw at a live show in Orlando, and they gave me a free disc. That was pretty cool, and their music has a couple of good licks throughout. Give them a listen if you can.

So I had that post of the Mastodon video a while back, saying I'd give them a shot. Well I did, and I have to say I really didn't enjoy them too much. They had the decent song here or there, but nothing that really stood out. I only listened to two albums, so I'll try out some more and see if it grows on me, but I'm not holding my breath. I did like Crack The Skye alot more then Remission though, I have heard that this new album was a new style of the group.

PS 2 Things: 1) This is the most albums I've listened to in a month (57), the previous best was 55 in February. 2) This is the soonest I've had an 'Albums Listened To' article completed in the month. Kudos for me on both accounts.

  1. A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms
  2. Abramis Brama - Nothing Changes - Newly Listened!
  3. AC/DC - Back In Black
  4. Alabama Thunderpussy - Fulton Hill - Newly Listened!
  5. Barenaked Ladies - Stunt
  6. Black In The Mind - Black In The Mind - Newly Listened!
  7. Black NASA - Deuce - Newly Listened!
  8. Black Sabbath - Dehumanizer - Newly Listened!
  9. Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell
  10. Black Sabbath - Mob Rules
  11. Black Water Rising - Black Water Rising - Newly Listened!
  12. Chumbawamba - Tubthumper
  13. Dio - Angry Machines - Newly Listened!
  14. Dio - Dream Evil
  15. Dio - Holy Diver
  16. Dio - Killing The Dragon - Newly Listened!
  17. Dio - The Last In Line
  18. Dio - Lock Up The Wolves - Newly Listened!
  19. Dio - Magica - Newly Listened!
  20. Dio - Master Of The Moon - Newly Listened!
  21. Dio - Sacred Heart
  22. Dio - Strange Highways - Newly Listened!
  23. Dozer - In The Tail of A Comet - Newly Listened!
  24. Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings (Disc 2) - Newly Listened!
  25. Elf - Carolina County Ball
  26. Elf - Elf
  27. Elf - Trying To Burn The Sun
  28. Firewind - Forged By Fire - Newly Listened!
  29. Five Horse Johnson - The Last Men On Earth - Newly Listened!
  30. Guns N' Roses - "The Spaghetti Incident?"
  31. Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know
  32. Hawkwind - Quark, Strangeness And Charm - Newly Listened!
  33. Helloween - Walls of Jericho
  34. Judas Priest - Defenders Of The Faith - Newly Listened!
  35. Kyuss - ...And The Circus Leaves Town - Newly Listened!
  36. Mastodon - Crack The Skye - Newly Listened!
  37. Mastodon - Remission - Newly Listened!
  38. Nanowar of Steel - Triumph Of True Metal Of Steel (Demo) - Newly Listened!
  39. Opeth - Damnation
  40. Pavlov's Dog - At The Sound of The Bell - Newly Listened!
  41. Pavlov's Dog - End of The World (EP) - Newly Listened!
  42. Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother - Newly Listened!
  43. Rainbow - Rainbow Rising - Newly Listened!
  44. Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
  45. Rainbow - Long Live Rock 'N' Roll
  46. The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed - Newly Listened!
  47. The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers - Newly Listened!
  48. sHEAVY - Blue Sky Mind - Newly Listened!
  49. sHEAVY - Republic? - Newly Listened!
  50. sHEAVY - Synchronized - Newly Listened!
  51. Uriah Heep - Demons And Wizards
  52. Warrel Dane - Praises To The War Machine
  53. Weezer - Weezer (The Red Album)
  54. The Who - Tommy
  55. Whole Wheat Bread - Hearts of Hoodlums
  56. Whole Wheat Bread - Punk Life (EP)
  57. Whole Wheat Bread - Minority Rules

No comments: