Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Albums Listened To In May

Alot of listens this month. Until the last week of the month I was averaging 2 albums a day, then I had a little bit of a personal issue, and my house of cards crumbled. Oh well, I still got 53 albums in 31 days. Not my best, by far not my worst. I'll try harder in June.

There were alot of great albums this month, so I'm going to go into less detail then I normally would: Of course, as I said last month, I finished the works of Elf and they were great. Their rendition of blues rock is something amazing, something that should be covered more often.
The debut EP by The Company Band, Sign Here, Here & Here, makes me look forward to their first full-length, The Vacation Of Tomorrow, Today!, out sometime this summer (and also the new Clutch album, Strange Cousins from the West, due out on the 7th). With all the stoner rock/metal I've been listening to in the past week, these guys will fit right in.
After seeing the band Whole Wheat Bread live a few weeks ago (more about that here) I decided to give them a listen, and I am glad I did. Both their two albums and their EP are filled with great music, some punk rock, some hip-hop, most a mix of the two. I was surprised how catchy their riffs and lyrics were, as I found myself singing along with the chorus the first time listening to the albums, remembering their songs from their live show.
An honorable mention to the Incubus albums I listened to. One of my best friends, Circle K, is a huge Incubus fan, and shes been getting on me for a while to give them a listen, so I did. I have to say that my music tastes have evolved enough to enjoy them now. I originally gave them a shot four years ago, but couldn't get past the weirdness. But now I've heard System of A Down and Les Claypool, so I am open to the weird and crazy. Incubus is a go.

The only bad album of the month was An Age Undreamt Of... by Hyborian Steel. I was looking forward to this album, any band that knows about the Conan series enough to name themselves after it is ok in my book. Unfortunately the name was not enough. The music was boring, the lyrics were basic, and annoying. It was just a waste of my time overall.

But that's it! 53 albums, 32 of which were brand new, so one bad egg is not too bad at all. Hopefully the next month will be even better. (At the time of this writing (June 2nd) I'm already at 8 albums for the month, so June is off to a great start!)
  1. 3 - The End Is Begun
  2. 3 - Paint By Number
  3. 3 Headed Monster - 3 Headed Monster
  4. Afrika Bambaataa & Soulsonic Force - Planet Rock: The Album - Newly Listened!
  5. Alabama Thunderpussy - Rise Again - Newly Listened!
  6. Alestorm - Captan Morgan's Revenge
  7. Andrew W.K. - I Get Wet
  8. The Atomic Bitchwax - 3 - Newly Listened!
  9. The Atomic Bitchwax - The Atomic Bitchwax I - Newly Listened!
  10. The Atomic Bitchwax - The Atomic Bitchwax II - Newly Listened!
  11. Baroness - The Red Album
  12. The Company Band - Sign Here, Here & Here (EP) - Newly Listened!
  13. Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Newly Listened!
  14. Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory
  15. Elf - Carolina County Ball - Newly Listened!
  16. Elf - Trying To Burn The Sun - Newly Listened!
  17. Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Newly Listened!
  18. Fireball Ministry - Ou Est la Rock? - Newly Listened!
  19. Flogging Molly - Drunken Lullabies
  20. Flogging Molly - Float
  21. Flogging Molly - Swagger
  22. Flogging Molly - Whiskey On A Sunday
  23. Flogging Molly - Within A Mile Of Home
  24. Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (’)
  25. Frank Zappa - Over-Nite Sensation
  26. Funkadelic - Funkadelic - Newly Listened!
  27. Grave Digger - Ballads Of A Hangman - Newly Listened!
  28. Grave Digger - The Last Supper - Newly Listened!
  29. Hyborian Steel - An Age Undreamt Of... - Newly Listened!
  30. Incubus - Fungus Amongus
  31. Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E. - Newly Listened!
  32. The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Ape Uprising - Newly Listened!
  33. Monster Magnet - Powertrip - Newly Listened!
  34. Nocturnal Rites - New World Messiah
  35. Parliament - The Clones Of Dr. Funkenstein - Newly Listened!
  36. Parliament - Funkentelechy Vs. the Placebo Syndrome - Newly Listened!
  37. Parliament - Mothership Connection - Newly Listened!
  38. The Real McKenzies - The Real McKenzies - Newly Listened!
  39. Shinedown - The Sound of Madness - Newly Listened!
  40. StormWarrior - Heavy Metal Fire (EP) - Newly Listened!
  41. Tom Morello: The Nightwatchman - The Fabled City
  42. Tom Morello: The Nightwatchman - One Man Revolution
  43. Turisas - Battle Metal
  44. Turisas - The Heart Of Turisas (EP) - Newly Listened!
  45. Turisas - Rasputin (Single) - Newly Listened!
  46. Turisas - The Varangian Way
  47. Warren Zevon - Wanted Dead Or Alive - Newly Listened!
  48. Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon - Newly Listened!
  49. White Skull - Forever Fight - Newly Listened!
  50. Whole Wheat Bread - Hearts of Hoodlums - Newly Listened!
  51. Whole Wheat Bread - Minority Rules - Newly Listened!
  52. Whole Wheat Bread - Punk Life (EP) - Newly Listened!
  53. Wolfmother - Wolfmother

No comments: