Thursday, December 2, 2010

New Album: Serj Tankian - Imperfect Harmonies

I didn't make the connection at first that Serj Tankian was the lead singer of System of a Down, but hey, that voice is unmistakable.  But I'm not here to review SOAD, I'm here to review Imperfect Harmonies - the second studio album by Serj.

Like most (if not all) of Serj's music (including SOAD), the music is different.  It is not the normal everyday, run-of-the-mill, "cookie-cutter", trying to be different band.  Which is why I, and I think others like his music.  Not to mention there is an orchestra backing him.  Which is just plain awesome.

The album is pretty good.  Serj shows off his vocal range, as always, which is a plus.  Except that his falsetto range (when he sings really high), needs work.  It's rather disturbing in some parts which sucks.  Take Track 3 "Deserving?" - It is a great song.  It tells a story, which you should know by now that I like that better than just the same chorus repeated around 2 verses.  It has a moderate dance beat to it that I could definitely see DJ's remixing this in a club setting.  But then at the very end he has to go ahead and sing like he just got castrated and it's a huge turn off to the track.

Track 7, "Gate 21" - Wow.  Just wow.  Starts out with melodic piano and gentle harmonies from the orchestra and Serj singing in his comfortable range, which just sounds fantastic.

Track 8, "Yes, It's Genocide", is in another language.  I'm assuming Armenian, since Serj (and the rest of the members of SOAD) are Armenian.  It's oddly haunting and yet comforting in a way.

There are a few other tracks that stand out (both in positive and negative lights), that I don't feel that I need to specifically pick apart. Although refreshing at first.  The majority of the tracks tend to sound the same.  The music is not stuck to one genre, so I'd put this in a progressive-type style, (even though it is tagged as Orchestral Rock as well).

The Pyro's Rating: 3.5/5 stars.  If you are a die-hard Serj/SOAD fan, or if you're just into "different" sounding music; go for it.  If not, borrow it from a friend.

No comments: